The BW upgrade is necessary based on clients decision use SAP BW as the corporate standard data warehousing tool. The current BW3.1 version of the software is nearing its end of life and would require additional and non-standard support from the vendor.
To remind you, SAP BW was known as SAP BI from the BW 7.0 onwards. But recently SAP has changed naming from SAP BI to SAP BW again. There are also some more confusing naming changes every beginners should be aware.
In this document author shares his experiences during the upgradation process of BW 3.x system to BI 7.0. As part of this project you will see also following processes
- Database and operation system will be also upgraded
- Production server hardware will be augmented
- Development and test environment servers and storage will be replaced with two upgraded full-sized environments
- Existing development and test architecture will be decommissioned and evaluated for use on other ongoing projects as needed
The following components of SAP software will be installed and functioning at completion of the Project.
- SAP Solution Manager 4.0
- SAP BI 7.0 (NetWeaver 2004s)
- SAP BEX Analyzer
- SAP BEX Query Designer
- SAP Web Application Designer
- SAP Report Designer
- SAP Business Intelligence Accelerator (optional component)